Pixie and I started the day off right with bran cereal and blueberries for breakfast. Normally we wake up around lunch time, have breakfast, I go to work, and then we go to volunteering before retiring for the evening. But the hours at work changed so we had breakfast then I had to dash to work after our morning walk. I finished work at 2pm and had about four hours before volunteering. We took a nap. That's a picture of her in the passenger seat with her Dentastix. Volunteering was so much fun today! People are starting to recognize us now. But I feel so guilty saying goodbye to the residents because Pixie only gets to visit for about six minutes with each person. And I had one scare today. I thought my heart was going to jump out of my chest. One of the nurses asked if she could see Pixie and of course she could, that's what Pixie is there for. But she grabbed Pixie out of my arms so unexpectedly that I lost my grip. One of the rules with St John Ambulance Therapy dogs is that if you hand your dog off to someone else you are eliminated from the program. Poor Pixie was caught in a tug of war as this nurse is trying to take her and I'm just saying no no no as I grab her back. But the rest of the visit went exceptionally well. She's getting used to facility and she just walks right into certain residents rooms now. She knows who likes her. I didn't put the bow in her hair tonight and quite a few people were disappointed about that. Oh, and I saw our name on the wall! It says in big bold letters on the wall on every floor: "Sunday Pixie the dog visits!"
Day 21 Sunday May 2
Pixie and I started the day off right with bran cereal and blueberries for breakfast. Normally we wake up around lunch time, have breakfast, I go to work, and then we go to volunteering before retiring for the evening. But the hours at work changed so we had breakfast then I had to dash to work after our morning walk. I finished work at 2pm and had about four hours before volunteering. We took a nap. That's a picture of her in the passenger seat with her Dentastix. Volunteering was so much fun today! People are starting to recognize us now. But I feel so guilty saying goodbye to the residents because Pixie only gets to visit for about six minutes with each person. And I had one scare today. I thought my heart was going to jump out of my chest. One of the nurses asked if she could see Pixie and of course she could, that's what Pixie is there for. But she grabbed Pixie out of my arms so unexpectedly that I lost my grip. One of the rules with St John Ambulance Therapy dogs is that if you hand your dog off to someone else you are eliminated from the program. Poor Pixie was caught in a tug of war as this nurse is trying to take her and I'm just saying no no no as I grab her back. But the rest of the visit went exceptionally well. She's getting used to facility and she just walks right into certain residents rooms now. She knows who likes her. I didn't put the bow in her hair tonight and quite a few people were disappointed about that. Oh, and I saw our name on the wall! It says in big bold letters on the wall on every floor: "Sunday Pixie the dog visits!"