I think it's great that this person is trying to make it harder for restaurants and bars obtain hookah bar licenses. The places that offer this service should have warning labels on their front doors or something that advertises the adverse effects of smoking in general. Apparently there is not any regulation for this sort of thing but then why do bars and restaurants that offer hookahs require licenses? "Ottawa issued at least 15 licenses to restaurants or bars that offer hookahs." from the article. But according to the City of Hamilton by-law: "the Smoke-Free Ontario Act requires all enclosed public places and workplaces in Ontario to be smoke-free by May 31, 2006. This new legislation will affect some establishments in Hamilton previously governed by Hamilton’s Smoking By-law No. 02-054. " The by-law doesn't say tobacco smoke or nicotine smoke, it says smoke in general. I personally don't have a problem with hookah bars or oxygen bars or any other bars that are built for a specific purpose and give people the option to participate in whatever they offer or choose to walk on by the establishment. I would be highly irritated if after the smoking by-law was passed customers in family restaurants were allowed to smoke hookahs. Their stinky exhalant taints all the food and drinks around them as well as affects the people around them. I don't really understand why the tobacco alternative comes in a range of flavours. Your lungs can't taste apple or Earl Grey tea. And smoking kills taste buds anyways.
Hookah Craze
I think it's great that this person is trying to make it harder for restaurants and bars obtain hookah bar licenses. The places that offer this service should have warning labels on their front doors or something that advertises the adverse effects of smoking in general. Apparently there is not any regulation for this sort of thing but then why do bars and restaurants that offer hookahs require licenses? "Ottawa issued at least 15 licenses to restaurants or bars that offer hookahs." from the article. But according to the City of Hamilton by-law: "the Smoke-Free Ontario Act requires all enclosed public places and workplaces in Ontario to be smoke-free by May 31, 2006. This new legislation will affect some establishments in Hamilton previously governed by Hamilton’s Smoking By-law No. 02-054. " The by-law doesn't say tobacco smoke or nicotine smoke, it says smoke in general. I personally don't have a problem with hookah bars or oxygen bars or any other bars that are built for a specific purpose and give people the option to participate in whatever they offer or choose to walk on by the establishment. I would be highly irritated if after the smoking by-law was passed customers in family restaurants were allowed to smoke hookahs. Their stinky exhalant taints all the food and drinks around them as well as affects the people around them. I don't really understand why the tobacco alternative comes in a range of flavours. Your lungs can't taste apple or Earl Grey tea. And smoking kills taste buds anyways.