I learned a lot of interesting things at the O.S.A.P presentation today, for example if your parents live less than 40 km from the University you are considered a dependent and will not be granted a living allowance because you should be living with them to cut expenses. That was disheartening. Every time I start a new course a teacher asks me what my story is, why am I at this particular school. I assume every student at this school has a very interesting story, mine isn't very interesting so I usually try to deflect and end up saying something awkward. My story is pretty simple, my parents didn't really want a kid so my Grandma took care of me. I was about 16 or 17 when she passed away and the whole family was lost without her. I got an apartment and a full time job to pay for the apartment. I tried to go to school full time as well but it was just too much for me back then. I was a kid, I didn't know about student welfare or what a food shelter was or that your parents are required by law to put a roof over your head until you are 18. I think I turned out pretty good. I like me a lot! But when I see restrictions placed upon me because of my parents I find it very upsetting. I've been taking care of myself for 7 years I should be considered independent! Anyways, my mom came by my work tonight to remind me it's Mother's Day on Sunday. I told her instead of paying $700/month for rent I would give her $500/month and I was moving into Dad's room and he can live in the basement. Long story short, it didn't go very well but at least I tried. My parents and I work very hard to maintain a positive relationship and we care about each other a lot but what works for most families just doesn't apply to mine.
Day 25 Thursday May 6
I learned a lot of interesting things at the O.S.A.P presentation today, for example if your parents live less than 40 km from the University you are considered a dependent and will not be granted a living allowance because you should be living with them to cut expenses. That was disheartening. Every time I start a new course a teacher asks me what my story is, why am I at this particular school. I assume every student at this school has a very interesting story, mine isn't very interesting so I usually try to deflect and end up saying something awkward. My story is pretty simple, my parents didn't really want a kid so my Grandma took care of me. I was about 16 or 17 when she passed away and the whole family was lost without her. I got an apartment and a full time job to pay for the apartment. I tried to go to school full time as well but it was just too much for me back then. I was a kid, I didn't know about student welfare or what a food shelter was or that your parents are required by law to put a roof over your head until you are 18. I think I turned out pretty good. I like me a lot! But when I see restrictions placed upon me because of my parents I find it very upsetting. I've been taking care of myself for 7 years I should be considered independent! Anyways, my mom came by my work tonight to remind me it's Mother's Day on Sunday. I told her instead of paying $700/month for rent I would give her $500/month and I was moving into Dad's room and he can live in the basement. Long story short, it didn't go very well but at least I tried. My parents and I work very hard to maintain a positive relationship and we care about each other a lot but what works for most families just doesn't apply to mine.